Recipe of the Week | Portuguese Kale Soup
Guest Blogger - May 31, '22
- Recipe of the Week
Portuguese Kale Soup by Scott Sylvia
"This is a recipe that I came up with based upon what my Mom and Vavo (grandmother) used to make. I added my own little twist to it. I find this soup is best the next day as all the flavors get a chance to meld together." - Scott Sylvia
1 bunch chopped kale
5 medium potatoes cut into bite size pieces
1 hot Chourice, casing removed, chopped
1 package stew meat cut into bite size pieces
1 medium onion diced
1 can small white beans
1 tsp temperos Portuguese (allspice)
1 tsp Assafroa (safflower)
1 TBSP kosher salt
1 tsp coarse ground pepper
2 quarts chicken stock (preferably homemade)
2-3 cups water
2 TBSN olive oil
1 cup ditalini
- In a large Dutch oven sauté the onion over medium heat in the olive oil until translucent.
- Add the Chourice and stew meat and cook until browned.
- While this is cooking cook the ditalini in water in a separate pan until Al dente.
- Add the can of white beans and juices to the Dutch oven.
- Add the chicken stock and the potatoes and cook over medium heat for 5 min.
- Add the ditalini including the water it was cooked in.
- Add the spices and then the kale.
- Fill the pot with enough water to cover the kale.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer fiord about 45 min.
- Let it sit for the flavors to meld together and serve with crusty bread.
About 4 quarts of soup
Want to see more of Scott's recipes? Grab a copy of his cookbook, My Love of Cooking! Follow him on Instagram.
Want us to feature your recipe on our blog and social media platforms? Click here!
Next: Recipe of the Week | Fregola Aperitivo